Friday, May 24, 2013

My Weekly Writing Update (21)


Because what's a writing blog without a writing update?

As you have seen, my main focus as of right now is If Only We, a young adult contemporary novel. I am in the process of revising and rewriting this one.

If Only We - current word count is 57,556.

So, I FINALLY started edits on If Only We. True edits. None of that preliminary checking the grammar crap (even though that was SOOO necessary). Sure, I'm only halfway through the first chapter BUT I fixed one of the problems with it due to a change I made later on. For some reason, the first few chapters are pretty solid if I remember correctly. It's as time goes on that it starts getting a little messy and harder to hold together. There's just so much going on with the characters and the timelines intersecting that it can easily fall apart if I'm not paying attention. Plus, I blame the slight changes I have come up with in the meantime to clean up the plot holes.

Gotta love those moments when you originally have your character do one thing and then later on you change your mind and forgot your character did that one thing and then you say something that causes the two situations to collapse the whole point of the story... but I digress...

I probably WOULD have gotten the whole first chapter read through and revised if not for getting distracted with my journal. I opened it up to look for something and ended up finding a passage that I wrote that sounded like a poem. What is a poet to do but to turn it INTO a poem immediately? I love that feeling... putting together the perfect words and phrases into an emotion filled poem. It gives me goosebumps and chills and makes me feel alive.

*ahem* I need to un-distract myself here and get back to the point. By this time next week, I am hoping to be through all of these supposedly "solid" first few chapters. If they're mostly together, shouldn't be too difficult to get through them, right? The faster I can get through these revisions, the better!


 Jessica Sankiewicz

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I'm sure you'll be sailing through in no time. I can't wait to read it! :-D

    ReplyDelete